Welcome to my new series “What I Made Wednesday”! I’m always searching for new recipes and tweaking my own that I thought I would start to share some on my blog. So each Wednesday I will share a different recipe that I’ve tried during the week. Most recipes will be pretty quick and painless and of course, tasty! For the first post I’m sharing the recipe for these healthy tuna cakes I made this weekend for lunch! They are so simple to make and I actually had all the ingredients in my house already!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 tuna cakes – Serving size: 2 each
2 5-ounce cans of tuna
2 TSPs of Dijon mustard
1/2 CUP of white bread (torn into small pieces)
1 TSP lemon zest
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP of water (or liquid from the cans of tuna)
2 TBSP on Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper to desired taste
A couple drops of hot sauce
1 raw egg
2 TBSP of olive oil
1/2 TSP of butter
1. Drain the liquid from the tuna cans. If you are using tuna packed in water, save a tablespoon of the tuna water, and add a teaspoon of olive oil to the tuna + water.
2. Mix together the tuna, water, olive oil, mustard, torn white bread, lemon zest, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and hot sauce. Sprinkle on salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste the mixture before adding the egg to see if it needs more seasoning to your taste. Mix in the egg.
3. Divide the mixture into 4 parts. With each part, form into a ball and then flatten into a patty.
4. Heat the butter (for taste) in a non-skillet on medium high. Gently place the patties in the pan, and cook until nicely browned, 3-4 minutes on each side.
5. Serve with a lemon wedge. Add the patties to a bed of spinach, or on a whole wheat bun with a side of vegetables.